We keep Ottawa moving, and some moves go further than others. If you’re moving overseas, you’ll need help navigating complex processes and paperwork— even before any packing begins!
Luckily, Boyd’s experts are ready to help. We have decades of experience moving families to countries around the world, and can help you prepare for the voyage ahead. We offer:
- Door-to-door service to more international locations.
- Answers in hours, not days, thanks to our global network of agents.
- Highly competitive pricing.
- Specialized packing and crating services to keep your goods safe.
- Expert advice on shipping regulations, customs requirements, and restrictions. Yes— we handle all the customs clearances for you.
- Itemized invoices that break down all costs.
- Accurate price estimates, guaranteed to be within 10% of the final moving invoice*.
- Dedicated moving planner helps with your move from beginning to end.
- Secure, climate-controlled warehouse facilities for short or long term storage.
We Ship by Land, by Air, and by Sea
Our experts will help you decide the most cost-effective method for your move.
If you’re moving to the USA or across Canada, all the information you need is on our long distance moving page.
For most people moving overseas, air freight is used to ship the bare essentials to your new home. This will help you get up and running for the eight weeks until your sea freight arrives.
Unlike most companies, Boyd provides both full-container and less-than-container shipping by sea so you get better pricing. Our containers are moisture-proof, vermin-proof, and secure. We take the guesswork out of sea shipment rates because we provide more accurate information faster. We have an extremely well-developed network of international partners through Mover One International and United Van Lines that can provide answers in just a few hours, and more options to keep prices competitive.
International Moving: Our Pricing and Process
As a rule, our pricing for international moving is decided by the volume of your items, multiplied by the distance they need to travel. We use volume because almost all of our international moves are sent by sea freight in shipping containers. For example, your load might take up 1,000 cubic feet in the container, whether it weighs 80 pounds or 800 pounds.
How our process works:
- Your employer provides you with your work visa and other paperwork.
- You call us to arrange a moving consultation.
- In your home, you and your consultant discuss what you want us to move and/or store— we also discuss any special conditions for your destination country.
- We provide an itemized invoice in advance, with individual line items for all costs.
- On approval, we provide you with the international customs paperwork for your destination country, and details for the move.
- Our expert moving crew arrives at your home on moving day and packs your items.
- At your new home, our partner company delivers your belongings and, if requested, unpacks for you.
We strongly recommend that we do the packing for any international move, because we’re trained to protect your items from the kinds of rough conditions that the sea containers will face. Our team also uses specialty packing supplies, like a special kind of overseas wrap, to help keep your belongings well-padded and prevent them from shifting around. Also, some countries don’t allow homeowners to ship containers they packed themselves (often because it can affect the type of financial compensation available).
Keeping Your Goods Moving with Expert Care
Since 1947, Boyd’s team has been handling all types of incoming and outgoing international shipments safely and efficiently. We have a fully bonded and insured warehouse staffed by an expert team that is ready to ship and receive your goods, no matter where they’re headed.
Through it all, your moving consultant is ready to answer questions along the way and ensure that all the details are managed. All you and your family need to do is enjoy the international moving experience.
* We pride ourselves on accurate price quotes. We will guarantee that your final bill will be within 10% of the initial estimate, as long as no additional items are added to the inventory on moving day. ____________________________________________________